[ILC GDE Updates] 22 June 2005

http://www.interactions.org/linearcollider/gde/

The Director's Corner
Barry Barish
Today, I want to briefly describe the process that lead to choosing
superconducting rf technology as the basis of the main linac technology
for the global design effort. As I discussed last week, a decade of
extensive R&D toward a linear collider demonstrated that it would be
possible to build a linear collider using either room temperature copper
structures or using superconducting rf cavities.

In order to evaluate these two choices, in February 2001, the
International Committee on Future Accelerators (ICFA) requested the
International Linear Collider Technical Review Committee to assess the
current technical status of electron-positron linear collider designs in
the various regions. This committee, made up of a group of accelerator
experts working in the technical areas relevant to a linear collider, was
chaired by Gregory Loew of SLAC. The committee's second report, issued in
2003, is a comprehensive analysis (526 pages) of the competing
technologies. It identifies and classifies the issues for each in terms of
risk levels, organizing them hierarchically. This analysis is very useful
for anyone interested in the question, but it did not offer a basis of
choice for the technology.

As a result, ICFA and the International Linear Collider Steering Committee
created the International Technical Recommendation Panel to make a
recommendation for the choice of technology, the. This panel, consisting
of 12 members, four from each of the three regions, began work in January
2004.

Last August 2004, a crucial milestone was reached in making the choice of
which technology to pursue for linear collider. The International
Technology Recommendation Panel, which I chaired, submitted its
recommendation to the International Linear Collider Steering
Committeechaired by Maury Tigner and to its parent body, ICFA, chaired by
Jonathan Dorfan. The recommendation read:

"We recommend that the linear collider be based on superconducting rf
technology. This recommendation is made with the understanding that we are
recommending a technology, not a design. We expect the final design to be
developed by a team drawn from the combined warm and cold linear collider
communities, taking full advantage of the experience and expertise of
both." (from the ITRP Report Executive Summary)

We based our decision on a detailed analysis of the relative merits of the
two technologies over a detailed list of criteria that addressed
scientific, technical, cost, schedule and operability issues for each
technology, as well as their wider impacts on the field and beyond. Next
week, I will pick up on what followed this recommendation.

As for current developments, the European GDE is taking shape with the
recent appointment of Brian Foster as the European Regional Director. I
also am pleased to announce that Brian will be assisted by two Deputy
Regional Directors, Jean-Pierre Delahaye of CERN and Nicholas Walker of
DESY. Jean-Pierre and Nick will bring considerable accelerator physics
strength to the European directorate, as well as providing direct
connections to both CERN and DESY. In addition to strengthening the
European GDE leadership, Nick and Jean-Pierre will play important roles in
the GDE accelerator group that will be responsible for developing the
global ILC design.

More updates and an archive of The Director's Corner are available at:
http://www.interactions.org/linearcollider/gde/

To be removed from this list, email ILCGDE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with remove in the subject line.