From: Frank Zimmermann [mailto:Frank.Zimmermann@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 9:21 AM
To: bds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Seryi, Andrei
Cc: Tomoyuki SANUKI; toshiaki.tauchi@xxxxxx; blair@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; Hans Braun
Subject: RE: [bds 98] draft of ATF2 PAC05 paper

Dear Andrei, Tomo, Tauchi san, et al.,

Thank you for sending the draft paper on ATF-2.
It is well done and excellent.

I have a few comments, similar to those which I had sent to Tomoyuki san

earlier and mainly on page 3:

- I still do not understand why the BSM laser should operate in a higher

  mode. I think the Shintake monitor changes the resolution by varying the
  angle of the two laser beams and not by changing the mode. This monitor
  is different from a laser wire. Is this not correct? I do not see
  why a higher mode would be helpful or needed for this type of monitor.

- ATF already has a double-kicker system since many years. So I wonder why
  this is listed as a future improvement. Do you plan modifications to the
  existing double-kicker system? If so, maybe this could be made more clear.

- The large longitudinal jitter in the damping ring is not mentioned,
  but this could have a large effect on the stability of the spot size,
  given the limited momentum bandwidth of the final focus.
  [ The longitudinal oscillations were measured and described, e.g., by Naito et al; see
  http://ccdb3fs.kek.jp/cgi-bin/img/allpdf?200327073
  Note that the amplitude of oscillation is several times the rms bunch length!
  A theoretical model was presented in a more recent ATF report by Sakanaka.]

- on page 3: 'Dumping ring' should be 'damping ring'.

- in the abstract: 'emittancies' should be 'emittances'

- on page 2: has better performance -> has a better performance

- on page 2: of ILC BDS design -> of the ILC BDs design

- on page 2: but has never -> but it has never

- on page 3: are needed to the ATF damping ring -> are needed for the ATF damping ring

I think my first three comments are quite relevant, and I would like to hear your feedback on these points, in case you do not share my opinion.

Many thanks and best regards,

Frank