[atf2-magnet 8] Re: ff3.4 magnet list: 2 questions

Dear  Cherrill,

       Regarding (1), Yes, we have the beam energy limitation of 1.3GeV which main magnet of damping ring limits due to temperature rise and insufficient cooling system. So, you can design magnets with 1.3GeV.

      Regarding (2), Yes, it is the rotating coil. You can ask the detail of this to Kuroda who used it to measure the field of ATF Quads.

Best wishes,
junji

At 10:05 PM -0700 05.4.14, Spencer, Cherrill M. wrote:
> Dear Tauchi-san and Urakawa-san
> Continuing the discussion about beam energy and quad apertures for ATF2:
> (1) Has Urakawa-san come to any conclusions about the beam energy we should be designing the magnets for?
>
> (2) I would like to know some more details about your magnet measuring device.
> For example, is it a rotating coil? does it have multiple windings in a fully bucked arrangement?
> We will want to make precise measurements of the quads' multipoles and for this we need a fully -bucked rotating coil. Our Magnetic Measurement expert here at SLAC, Zachary Wolf, explained to me that it is difficult to make a fully-bucked coil of under ~1inch ~ 25mm diameter and so we wouldn't want to make the quad apertures smaller than about 28mm. This value is not so far from 32mm to make much difference in the quad fabrication cost,  so we can stay with the 32mm - as long as your measuring device makes precise measurements of the higher order multipoles.
>
> If it doesn't then we should consider making a new rotating coil or maybe having the magnets measured somewhere else-- depends somewhat on where they will be built I suppose?.
>
> I have looked up old KEK papers on  magnets being measured but can only find papers on the KEK-B magnets, who could I correspond with at KEK to discuss further these measurement questions?
>
> Regards from
> Cherrill Spencer
> 650-926-3474

Junji Urakawa , KEK